Τρίτη 14 Ιουνίου 2016

Long range radio telemetry for RC plane/drone/boat/car

Hello friends

I built a telemetry pair for a friend. An idea I used to have for a really long time, but I had lack of interest to do it only for myself.

The purpose of this project is to have on the field a lightweight handy standalone system which works with only a button instead of carrying a laptop and all its modules.

All the system is based on arduino and NRF24L01 Transceiver module. (on the very begginings I had problems with the code on the atmega328 mcu on the TX side and so I was forced to use atmega2560 for TX which was very heavy for that application. After the code optimized runs fine on the atmega328)

The maximum range that I have reach using NRF24L01 LNA/PA/SMA is 2kM LOS with the stock antennas .

The data that is transmitted at this point :
  • Speed (km/h)
  • Altitude(m)
  • Temperature (internal) (Celsius)
  • Battery Voltage of the battery of the plane (up to 4s battery) . 
  • ****Added in the new version (28/6/16)****
  • Distance from home
  • Coordinates
  • External Temperature
  • Running Time
  • Set here as Home function 

Speed is determined by Ublox neo-6m GPS module
Altimeter and temperature is determined by BMP180 barometric sensor
I added a toggle switch which resets the altitude before flight (or in flight).

There is alarm for STALL, OVERSPEED , LOW BATTERY, OVERHEAT and Lost Signal , which lights a LED and sounds a tone on buzzer.
Stall and overspeed set values are hardcoded variables which can be changed in the code. (Maybe in the future versions will add potentiometer to adjust the stall/over speeds)

Panels for the ground station are cut on CNC Router and then put carbon fiber - look coating.

I could use a 2004 display instead of 2x 1602 , but i did use all components i had on hand.
I could also use apm 3dr and a laptop and have lots of telemetry data, ready to go! But hey, thats what I had on hand and its handy to carry around and it would cost less than $50 for a new pair.


Here is the (Second) field test, on a phoenix 1600


 

Below are some pictures of the telemetry system



This is the transmitter module.Removing tape,wood,glue and shorting the length of cables it can easily drop to less than 50gr. 


One thought was to install instruments (of which the needle has limited degrees rotation like airspeed, controlled by servo, or unlimited rotation actuated by a small stepper motor) but for a first panel is much invest of time.



Currently I am developing the next version of it, which in addition to previous data will also display:

  • distance from home    dev OK(28/6/16)
  • plane coordinates        dev OK(28/6/16)
  • external temperature   dev OK(28/6/16)
  • system running time    dev OK(28/6/16)

*The home coordinates are hardcoded but will implement a button function to set-here as home
>>>> Function implemented OK (28/6/16) 


Other data that I am interested in adding in the future are
engine RPM (here I need some help on how to measure)
Current consumption (mAh) (will probably use the APM power module)
g load
pitch roll position (to be displayed as artificial horizon)
SD card data logger (as Black BOX)
RSSI


Another feature I intend to append is remote control (from the telemetry receiver to the telemetry transmitter on the plane), that will open a hatch to drop parachutes (probably controlled by the operator, not the pilot)


**Update 25/6/16 :  After some consideration, I intend to shrink the whole design to just one 20 x 4 LCD in order to be mounted on  top of  the pilot's RC Transmitter (in case that FPV monitor is not used)
Probably it will be quite convenient  (instead of having another box somewhere nearby).
Will study and post really soon !

**Update 26/6/16:  I made an alternate version to fit the data on the 20x4 LCD.   Sending coordinates and distance (plus all other data)  is overkill for the atmega328, so for now  distance from home is transmitted (instead of coordinates) .





Please share your thoughts regarding this project




(Ok , that's my first blog post ever.
                    I will try to update it and improve all my development, under development !)

Thank you.

3 σχόλια:

  1. Αυτο αν το δουλευειες σε andruino καλο θα ηταν να εχεις ανοιχτο κωδικα. Δηλαδη να μοιραστεις τον κωδικα με το κοινο. αν θες περισοτερες πληροφοριες στειλε μου μυνημα.

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  2. This is exactly what I need for the Ground Control Station that I'm making. https://www.fpvcrew.gr/my-fpv-cockpit I want to make an arduino telemetry system that will send me data from a plane and for example if my speed is over lets say 50km will activate a mp3 file that will say "Over Speed" and so on. can you show me the code and explain how you made it. Whore you able to get a better distance?
    I'm in Greece if you like we can meet in person and talk about this project.

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  3. could make programming available? I am doing a similar project for a telemetry of drones with the module nrf24l01

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή